Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg took a competitive swipe at Apple on Monday over the fees the iPhone maker charges companies to sell wares using its App Store.
In a blog post that hit moments before Apple CEO Tim Cook took the stage at his company’s high-stakes developers’ conference, Zuckerberg told content creators that it won’t charge them until at least 2023 for using Facebook to distribute their work, promote events or sell subscriptions.
Zuckerberg even singled-out Apple by name.
“When we do introduce a revenue share, it will be less than the 30 percent that Apple and others take,” Zuckerberg said.
He said the decision to not charge fees would “help more creators make a living on our platforms.”
The controversy over Apple’s fees hit a boiling point last year when the iPhone maker booted “Fornite” creator Epic Games from its App Store for launching an in-app payment system that enabled the video game company to circumvent Apple’s stiff 30-percent fees for in-app purchases.
“When we do introduce a revenue share, it will be less than the 30 percent that Apple and others take,” Zuckerberg said. NurPhoto via Getty Images
Fortnite ended up suing Apple in a move